By Bernard Lightman
- Provides a single-volume evaluate of present scholarship within the historical past of technology edited by way of one of many prime figures within the field
- Features 40 essays by means of major overseas students supplying an outline of the main debates and advancements within the heritage of science
- Reflects the shift in the direction of deeper old contextualization in the field
- Helps converse and combine views from the background of technological know-how with different parts of old inquiry
- Includes dialogue of non-Western subject matters that are built-in during the chapters
- Divided into 4 sections in keeping with key analytic different types that mirror new techniques within the field
Read or Download A Companion to the History of Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History) PDF
Best history & philosophy on science & nature books
Mobilizing technology theoretically and empirically explores the increase of a brand new type of social movement—one that makes an attempt to empower electorate by utilizing professional medical study. Sabrina McCormick advances theories of social events, improvement, and technology and know-how stories through analyzing how those fields intersect in instances all over the world.
A better half to the heritage of yank technological know-how bargains a suite of essays that provide an authoritative review of the newest scholarship at the historical past of yank technology. Covers issues together with astronomy, agriculture, chemistry, eugenics, gigantic technology, army know-how, and extra beneficial properties contributions through the main comprehensive students within the box of technology heritage Covers pivotal occasions in U.
Tune as a technological know-how of Mankind bargains a philosophical and old viewpoint at the highbrow illustration of track in British eighteenth-century tradition. From the sector of typical philosophy, concerning the technology of sounds and acoustics, to the world of mind's eye, concerning resounding song and artwork, the branches of contemporary tradition that have been fascinated by the highbrow culture of the technology of track proved to be variously beautiful to males of letters.
In Samurai to Soldier, D. Colin Jaundrill rewrites the army background of nineteenth-century Japan. In fifty years spanning the cave in of the Tokugawa shogunate and the increase of the Meiji geographical region, conscripts supplanted warriors as Japan's imperative arms-bearers. the most typical model of this tale means that the Meiji establishment of obligatory army provider used to be the basis of Japan’s efforts to avoid wasting itself from the imperial objectives of the West and set the rustic at the route to nice energy prestige.
Extra info for A Companion to the History of Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History)
A Companion to the History of Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History) by Bernard Lightman